Thursday, February 4, 2010

Marshmallow Fondant


One day a few months ago I decided to try my hand at cake decorating. I haven't made but a handful, but the first few cakes I tried I used pre-made rolled fondant by Wilton and the cake looked pretty good, for my first cake. I made the flowers by experimenting and it was pretty simple. Then my family and I took a bite. The fondant didn't taste very good at all and we wound up just peeling that off and eating the insides.

So during Thanksgiving, I thought I'd do a little experiment, and make a cake and the fondant. I did some research found some recipes and made 6 batches over 6 days using different methods, I had a birthday cake to make too. And I found the perfect version that taste and looks pretty good. Though I still need some practice.





I use a version of the Wilton recipe with a few modifications:

Ingredients:

1 package (16 0z) white mini Marshmallows

2 - 5 Tablespoons of water (though I only use 2)

2 lbs powdered sugar

1 tsp clear flavoring (optional)

(now the Wilton recipe calls for shortening but this is only to dip your hands in, I never had a real need for this)


Instructions:

In a large microwave safe bowl put whole bag of mini marshmallows and 2 Tablespoons of water, microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and stir, and continue to microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. After marshmallows are melted pour in 1 cup of powdered sugar. Continue to stir in sugar until it is easily handled outside of bowl. You'll add the flavor (if desired) at this point.

Upon taking out of bowl I use a Silpat non stick mat for the remainder of fondant making. Take the fondant out of the bowl and put on mat, use the powdered sugar to keep from sticking. Knead the sugar in the marshmallow mixture like you would bread. Continue until the dough is not sticky and firm. If your fondant gets too dry and tears easily knead water in a teaspoon at a time. Store in fridge in a vacuum bag or air tight container overnight. Remove from fridge approx. 8 hours prior to using it. Fondant stores for about 2 weeks in fridge.

Fondant colors really easily, I usually do it the day I'm covering a cake. It's pretty simple to make and takes a little bit of time, but it's well worth it.



Photos by NoAVale.com

No comments:

Post a Comment