Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pork Chow Mein

In my house, I experiment on my poor husband all of the time. Most of the time it turns out really well, on occasion it can just go all wrong. I enjoy cooking and baking and experimenting, and most of the time my husband enjoys the meals I make.


Now due to all of that experimenting, I don't usually like to make the same thing twice, unless it's for company or we really, really like it. Now I do have 3 books that I keep all of the best recipe's that I changed, some completely, and we'll use it, but I only usually repeat once every 3-4 months, so we don't get tired of our favorites. Or I'll make it if requested.

This recipe, I've made 3 or 4 times in the past 2 months, because it's just that fantastic. It makes great leftovers, it's simple to make, and easy to double for company. So, try this, adapt it, love it!

(Please bear with me, today, I've been a bit sick this week, so all of that writing might not make complete sense. Also, I took these pictures so, they aren't the best.)




Ingredients:


  • 1 lb boneless pork loin (ok you can use a pork loin, or chops, this last time I used pre-cut pork stew meat)
  • 2 garlic cloves, mined (if you like peeling and mincing your garlic, yeah, I usually buy the pre minced garlic in the 48 oz. size; I used about a Tablespoon)
  • 4 Tbsp soy sauce, divided (keep the bottle out though, also I recommend using the lower sodium version)
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp (ish) vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sliced carrots (I used baby carrots)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped cabbage
  • 1 cup chopped spinach (fresh)
  • rice (you'll cook this separate and the instructions aren't here. I highly recommend using 2 bags of the Minute boil-in-bag rice, it's great)

First you'll want to get your pork ready. If you bought a pork loin or pork chops they need to be cut into 1 inch strips, or bite size strips. If you bought the stew meat that's pre-cut just go through and make sure there aren't any giant pieces. In a Ziploc bag put the pork, 2 Tbsp of soy sauce and garlic together and let it marinate for 2 hours in the fridge, and that pork will soak up all of that soy sauce. When sealing the bag be sure to make sure to get as much air out as possible or use the 'vacuum bags' (these are much cheaper at the store by the way).
While all of that is marinating you can kick back or go ahead and start chopping up you ingredients. I used baby carrots, because to me, they taste a little sweeter and I always have a bag in the house, I don't have to peel them either! Also you can add celery to this (1 cup) but we avoid celery, since my husband curls his nose at the site of it. You don't have to chop the spinach or cabbage up perfectly, coarsely chopped works really well.
As the 2 hour mark grows near, now would be the time to get out a small bowl and mix the cornstarch, ginger, broth and remaining soy sauce (that's what is in the bowl in first picture) and set aside.


So, after your pork is good an marinated, pour contents of the Ziploc bag into your skillet (or wok) that we've already started warming with oil and a little soy sauce. Stir-fry your pork until it's not pink any longer, then remove it from the pan and keep warm, you'll then return your pan back to your stove and add some soy sauce and maybe a dab of oil.


Then you'll add in your carrots (and celery if you so choose) and you'll fry them for 3 or so minutes. You'll want to make sure they are nice and tender before moving on.


Then you toss in your onion, cabbage, and spinach and fry for another 3 minutes, again throw in some soy sauce. I would keep adding soy sauce or oil into the pan, if not your veggies will begin to stick. Don't add too much just enough.


Here's where you add all the pork and broth mixture into the pan. Be sure to scoop out all of the ginger and cornstarch that settled in your bowl, we need all that flavor. Let it boil and continue to stir until it thickens up a bit.


Serve over rice, ( I keep the rice and the chow mien in separate dishes so people can get what they prefer).


This is super yummy, and easy to make. So enjoy!





Original recipe found at Taste of Home.com





No comments:

Post a Comment