Saturday, March 13, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes


St. Patrick's Day often comes and goes without people giving it much thought. St. Patrick's Day has always been a little more than just a holiday for me, growing up. It just so happens to be my birthday and my father's as well. So, I decided to make something for this St. Patrick's day as well. I actually had originally planned to make a plain chocolate cupcake with butter cream icing, but then I thought I hadn't made carrot cake in a while. This carrot cake is a hodgepodge of several recipes and it is really, really great and the cream cheese frosting is always a classic and so yummy.


Unfortunately there were a few casualties during the making of these cupcakes; my stand-mixer's motor gave way before I could get the carrots in. Then my carrot peeler died, so I had to use a knife to peel the carrots it was an interesting experience. However, everything turned out really well. I shredded my own carrots, which gives the cupcakes an extra freshness.


Ingredients:
(For cup cakes)
2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
1 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
4 c shredded carrots (don't use the pre-shredded bags)

(For Icing)

6 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
4 - 6 cups powdered sugar

(Other Items)
Cupcake Liners (Shamrock or Green Liners)
Wilton Color Spray in Green
Green Sugar Sprinkles
Wilton 1M Decorating Tip
Decorating Bag

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Then beat the eggs until they get foamy.


Next add oil, in a small stream, slowly.
Then gradually add all of the dry ingredients.
Add vanilla.

Then add your (hand) shredded carrots and fold them into the mixture.


Aren't these cupcake holders just cute (you'll need 24 of them).


Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full. Then bake for 18-2- minutes.
While you're waiting for your cupcakes cool, you can start making your icing. (You can tell when your oven leans when your cupcakes are a little lopsided)



In a medium to large mixing bowl you'll beat together everything except for the sugar. Mix it together until it's nice and smooth.
Add sugar in slowly (I only used 5 cups), if you add it too fast you'll get a face full of a sugar cloud. Continue to add sugar until the frosting is the consistency you are looking for.
Put your icing into your bag (that already has the tip) and in a spiraling movement frost the cupcakes (There is just enough for all 24 cupcakes).

After that's all done you'll spray the tops of the cupcakes with the spray in a circular motion and then sprinkle with the ... sprinkles.

These are great and I hope you enjoy them as much as my family did!

No comments:

Post a Comment