Monday, April 26, 2010

Citrus Meringue Pie


Ok, so I found this at Taste of Home, of course, since I'm on a kick with them. I just subscribed to a year of their magazine and find most of the recipes pretty yummy. Anyway, I thought I'd try this, it was really easy, I've only made a meringue once before and that was about 4 years ago. Everyone always has told me that meringues are difficult, but I guess I've been lucky because both of my pies have turned out perfectly. Though I like the one a few years ago better, it was chocolate . . . yummmm. I didn't eat this pie, though I tasted the meringue, because I'm not a big citrus person (as explained here.) I don't generally make desserts for myself so I thought I'd give it a shot anyway! I really like the meringue, it tasts like marshmallows, but better!



Ingredients:




For Filing:
1 – Pre-made Extra Large Graham Crust
1 cup – sugar
5 Tbsp – cornstarch
½ tsp – salt
1 cup – water
1 cup – orange juice (no pulp)
4 - Egg yolks (beaten)
½ cup – lemon juice
2 Tbsp – butter
1 tsp – grated lemon peel
1 tsp – grated orange peel

For Meringue:
3 - egg whites
1 - tsp vanilla
6 - Tbsp sugar

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt and mix together.


Add water and orange juice and stir until smooth and you don't feel clumping in the bottom of the pan. (The cornstarch tends to settle so be sure to stir all the way to the bottom not just the top and center.)


Cook on medium-high heat until thick and bubbly. Stir constantly. Once it starts boiling reduce heat and keep cooking and stirring for 2 minutes then remove from heat.


In your egg yolk bowl (or glass as seen above) mix in some of the hot orange mixture and stir until smooth.


Pour all of the egg yolk mixture back into the pot and return to the heat. Boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in the lemon juice, butter and peels into the saucepan and stir until butter has melted. Pour into the crust.


Now for the meringue . . . I recommend using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment for this part.
In a large bowl whisk egg whites and vanilla on medium until soft peaks form. Slowly whisk in sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form.
Spread over the filling and make sure the meringue touches the pie crust.


Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool for 1 hour then refridgerate for 1-2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment