Saturday, May 1, 2010

Truffle Cake With Peppermint Cream


I made this cake a few days a go and it was pretty yummy. It came from the December Taste of Home magazine and is also on their website. I love semi-sweet and dark chocolate cakes because the sweetness just doesn't overwhelm you. I know I've made a couple of TOH desserts lately, but it will be a while before I do more, I am making Mother's day things this week and I've had a request for "Earthquake Cake." Also I plan on putting some non dessert items up for a little change.

I used a different camera this week, my husband's camera (that I usually use) had some weird gadgets attached that I didn't want to mess with it, so I thought I would try out the camera on my new Backflip. It worked fine, but I probably won't use it again for this purpose, unless I have to.


Ingredients:

Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 cup butter (melted)

Cake:
16 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 eggs
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar

Cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2T Sugar
7 Peppermint starlight mints, crushed
1/4 tsp peppermint extract




Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
In a small bowl you'll want to mix your crust ingredients until well moistened. Then press firmly into the bottom of your 9" springform pan. (I used a 10 inch because my 9 was out on loan it made the cake a little thinner see bottom picture.)


In a large sauce pot, mix your chocolate and whipping cream until smooth and melted, set aside.


In a large bowl beat all of the eggs,  until bubbly add flour and sugar and beat until blended.



Add chocolate and beat until well mixed, pour onto crust.


Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes and let cool, refrigerate over night.

I made my whipped topping in a 4 cup measuring cup which works really well.
Beat sugar and cream until soft peaks form.


Add crushed mints and extract, store in the fridge and serve on the cake.


This is how thin it can get when using just a slightly larger pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment