Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Strawberry" Mini Cakes


ARGH yes my photos were blurry; I had such a hard time taking pictures of these cakes because of the shiny coat and my shakiness! On that note moving on....I found this idea on the Wilton Web Site. And yes theirs looks so much better but I've never worked with candy coating like this, I've made candy molds but not used candy to cover mini-cakes. This is my first batch; my second batch actually looked better, but alas no pictures. This was the sample batch to try and I wasn't a fan but the husband (and work I was told) liked them. I made these for my mom for Mother's Day of course they can be made anytime!

(You can use any cake you would like as long as they aren't too squishy).


For the cakes you'll need this (above) handy dandy Wilton heart pan which is available year round on Amazon or your local craft/hobby shop. I picked mine up at Michaels.


Next you will need these 3 shades of candy melts, light cocoa, red and yellow.
Also you'll need some decorator bags OR a handy dandy Ziploc bag with a small hole and a spoon.
Green spice drops

(The following is for the cake, I made Chocolate)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup softened butter
3 room temperature eggs
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups milk

 

In mixing bowl beat butter 30 seconds on medium high. Add sugar, beat 3/4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.


Add remaining dry ingredients and alternate with milk starting and finishing with dry ingredients.
Pour into the heart pan and bake for 20 minutes or until done (at 350 degrees).


After they are cooled off melt your red candy melts in accordance with your package directions spoon and smooth over the heart cake and place your spice drops on top of the heart, let cool.


After that is cooled spread the light cocoa on the bottom at an angle.


Then (this is where you put your decorating bag to use) use yellow and put on the seeds.
Then enjoy after nice and hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment