Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mini Apple Pies


Mini Pies are pretty cute, this doesn't really look like a pie so much as a tiny pastry envelope, and it tastes pretty good too. I haven't made pastries too much so I was fairly pleased, the recipe needs some more tinkering but that's the fun of baking isn't it? The recipe I made doesn't make that much either only about 6 - 7 of these pies. Which is good for a small family of 2 or 3 and it is pretty easy to make. I actually got this recipe in the mail, and instantly changed it. I wish I knew who the original recipe was from but I couldn't find it.

On a separate note for my next few entries (after this one) I am going to try a little different format for this blog. I never intended it to be a step-by-step guide, I was hoping to share my mistakes (and there are plenty) and and successes or really, my baking journey. So let me know what you think!


Ingredients:
Crust:
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 Tbsp Milk

Filling and Topping:
1 apple (I used Granny Smith)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-2 Tbsp sugar


After you preheat your oven to 425 degrees you will want to put the flour in  a large bowl. Cut up your butter and place it into the bowl. With your pastry blender or fork, blend your butter and flour until nice and crumbly.


Add your milk and egg and stir until a dough forms (You may need to use more flour if the dough is too sticky.) Set Aside.


For your filing peel your apple then shred it into a small bowl. (If you have a multi sided grater use the largest grater position).

Mix in vanilla, nutmeg and ginger.


Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface into about a16 x 8 rectangle or so (you don't have to measure it). Cut the pastries into 4x4 squares. You can use a knife or a pastry cutter  (I actually did measure these. I have a ruler that I use just for baking.)

You will want to spoon about a tablespoon and a half onto each of the centers of the squares.
Brush the outside edges of the dough with a pastry brush using the beaten egg.


Fold the corners of two sides of the dough to the center and then the other two sides into that making a pocket.


Place all your squares on a baking sheet.
For the topping brush the remaining egg onto the top of each of the squares and then sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until golden brown (8-15 minutes) Serve warm.





No comments:

Post a Comment